Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Enjoy relaxing

Just outside Kyoto is Japan's largest freshwater lake, Lake Biwa. We read about it, and about the many onsen it is home to, and decided we would venture up for a few days. The internet made it seem like a weekend playground for people from Kyoto but as we all know, you can't believe everything you read on the internet.
I get the impression that it is to Kyoto what Frankston is to Melbourne. Sure, there's a beach there and it's a stones throw from Melbourne  but that does not mean it's an appealing place. Not at all. We arrived on a dreary grey day and it's rained non stop since we got here. That's not helping. But the multitude of tittie bars and general seediness can not be blamed on the weather. 
The hotel staff seem a little sheepish and kind of apologetic, like they know it's a bit shit here. As I took the key and headed for the lift one of them called after me and said "enjoy relaxing", a little desperately.

Then this was waiting for us on our doorstep, when we got to the room.
 

I haven't let it deter me.  There's a spa bath on our balcony and an outdoor onsen in the hotel which is the main reason I'm here. The Midges can go fudge themselves! 

1 comment:

  1. That sign makes me long to get to Japan asp. I love those things so much.
    I want to be there to keep closing the window and to give them my cooperation for their appreciation.
    I love you Japan

    ReplyDelete