Thursday, May 9, 2013

Things I don't care for (AM)

In this post, I am going to tell you guys about a thing that people say that I don't care for. I don't want to be a hater or anything, but sometimes people say words or use phrases that really get my goat.  And now I am going to tell you about one of them which I guess is kind of mean, because maybe you dislike it too, so...sorry?
Also, I know what you're thinking. Whoa K, let she who is without sin cast the first stone. And you'd be right (and kudos on your  use of biblical references, I LOVE biblical references). Of course I say a lot of things that people don't care for. I'll admit that. I'm pretty sure no one else finds the term 'tommozletov' as funny as I do. But heck guys, I'm just telling you how I feel.  Maybe you're thinking the same thing and reading this will make you feel better. Maybe we can make a series out of it!
Ok, maybe I'm getting carried away. Why don't I just tell you the word and we can take it from there.
Ok, here I go. The thing that people say that I don't care for that I want to talk about is the word...

colourways.

People in design circles use it, from what I can gather, to describe the same pattern in different colours. So, for example these rugs that people with a spare $1200 odd can put in their hallways (assuming they have them - I have neither a spare $1200 nor a hallway).


Same pattern different colours. Only, these days people don't say colours, they say colourways.

I really don't care for it. It seems a little like dudes with stuff to sell are trying to  elevate the status of their stuff from regular things to designy things, so we go crazy for them and drop a bunch of cash on them. It makes me think groan and eyeroll and depending how lazy I'm feeling, I may even roll my eyes when I read it/hear it.

So that's the thing I don't care for.
Unless it has some technical definition that I don't understand. Does it?


1 comment:

  1. IT DOES NOT! You are right, it's wankers trying to make their things sound more impressive and designer and therefore worthy of being more expensive. But it has infected others, so now people use it in conversation (for example, "I really like the colourway you're using there"), and I always want to kill them. Preferably by dipping them in a series of boiling different coloured dye vats. How do you like THAT colourway, you pretentious wanker?

    (I didn't realise I had this much rage on this topic!)

    ReplyDelete