Monday, February 27, 2012

It's a wonderful night for Oscar (AM)

The Oscars is on tonight.
Hooray!
It's full of things I love. 
Hunks!
Ladies wearing pretty dresses!
Also, it's full things I hate.
Actors saying dumb things.
Ladies wearing fugly dresses.
Tom Hanks.

I guess it's not a total party.
The Oscars experience is kind of like the reality TV experience. You hate most of the people on it, but watching them say dumb stuff and then getting the occasional glimpse of someone you like makes for very compelling viewing. And of course, there is always the possibility that someone is going to wear something beautiful.

Like this.




Remember this? It is the yellow dress Michelle Williams wore that year she and Health Ledger were in Brokeback Mountain.
I think I speak for both halves of the crab when I say that this is the most beautiful thing anyone has ever worn, and the most beautiful anyone has ever looked, ever. Of all the Oscars dresses that came before and all that have come after, none can hold a candle to this one. And it's not just that it is a beautiful cut and a beautiful colour and fits her perfectly, though it certainly is all of those things. This dress as something else altogether. You know what it was like when you were little and looked at pictures of your parents as young people? How they seem so young and beautiful and so carefree and elegant, and how it would make your little-kid heart ache a bit? Well that's how I feel when I look at this dress.

I guess my view of it and how beautiful she looked in it is tied up in the whole Heath/Michelle love story. I mean, it seemed like they were in love the way people in the movies are in love, and the fact that they broke up and then he died - forget about it.  The whole thing just seemed so sad.

Anyway. That dress rules.
And it is so far ahead of all the others that I pretty much don't expect to see anything I like as much, ever. But, women who are attending the Oscars, I'd be delighted to be proved wrong!







No comments:

Post a Comment