Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Awesome Animals (PM)

You know, we should get Russeth to do a special guest post about Africa because it does seem like it was a swell time, and his photos are so awesome and hilarious that after I looked through every single one on facebook, I went and got a cup of tea and then looked through every single one on facebook again.

But back to the animal kingdom, surely the most awesome of all the kingdoms around. All those furry, scaley and feathery guys? Forget about it.

If we want to talk about minds being blown, I think we really should mention the Yeti crab and the Fathead Sculpin fish.

These guys totally mess with my idea of what it is to be a crab and a fish.

First, the yeti crab.

How can a crab marry elegance and ruggedness so perfectly?  If this guy was a human, I'm pretty sure he would look like Robert Redford circa Jeremiah Johnson and were he to invite me back to his cabin for a whiskey,  I would go. Even if we had just met, I would go.

Not so, should the Fathead Sculpun fish invite me back to his sea cave.
People, that is a fish. A fish that looks like a man. A really, really sad man. I can't believe that guy is swimming around somewhere, looking like that. I feel terrible for him. And I think the namers have made his situation worse by calling him Fathead Sculpin fish. Not cool, namers. You should have called them the Dough fish, or something that while evocative of their appearance, wouldn't make them hate themselves and want to look away every time they swam past a reflective surface.

Gosh, what a downer, sorry guys. Lets comfort ourselves by reconnecting with another of nature's wonders.




(Thanks Croquette, for reminding me about the Honey Badger)




No comments:

Post a Comment