Friday, November 11, 2011

Friday Favourites: Flamingos (AM)

A few years ago while on holiday in Japan I saw some sort of nature documentary on a hotel TV and there were flamingos in it. There was this beautiful footage of a huge flock of flamingos walking across the desert and it was pretty mind-blowing. (I tried to find a photo on the Google for you guys but nothing compares.) And I said to LB (HB), "I love flamingos. They are definitely one of my favourite birds."

Later that holiday we went to the Ueno Zoo. They had so many beautiful birds there. Vultures! PUFFINS! A bunch of peacocks the likes of which I had never seen before or since! But you know what I could not tear myself away from? The friggin' flamingos! Seriously I could have stood in front of those bastards forever. Here are some photos I took of them.








Aren't they beautiful?!

Then a few days later I saw a gold pendant in a jewellery store. It was a flamingo pendant! I dropped some hints to LB that he may want to buy it for me, saying things like, "Hey, you should buy that for me." But he just didn't pick up on them.

Well I don't have that pendant but I do have a massive love of flamingos. Did you know that they are pink because of the food they eat!? It's prawns that make them look like that?! Did you know that one theory about why they stand on one leg is that half of there body sleeps at one time!? And did you know that they are one of three birds that do something akin to lactating?! This makes me really feel like we are kindred. Of course they make their "milk" in their throat and regurgitate it into their babies mouths. And the "milk" may be more like cottage cheese. But I don't care. I love flamingos so much. They are my Friday Favourite African bird! Fo shiz!!!!

1 comment: