Friday, September 23, 2011

Friday Favourites: Barbra Streisand

One of the things I inherited from my mother is green eyes, which are set quite wide apart on my head. Not like a hammerhead or anything, just somewhat wide compared with other people. People sometimes say that I look like her, which is a massive compliment because when she was my age, she was a total fox.

Am I right?

Anyway, another thing I inherited from her is complete and total love for Barbra Streisand. When I was little, it seemed sensible to enjoy the music of Barbra Streisand, because Mum would play it all the time and there was nothing any of us could do about it. And like going to Church, we just did it without questioning whether it was a good thing to do.  Now I am grown and I don't have to like Barbra any more. But again and again I find myself hearing one of her songs and totally loving the shit out of it. I can't help myself. In my mind, she is kind of like the benchmark for lady singers. I hear all these singers they have these days. Adele. Amy Winehouse. The other ones. I hear that they sing well but they don't make me feel like Barbra Streisand makes me feel. She's the best guys, what can I say?

She's great in the movies too.
Have you guys seen Funny Girl? Do, it's awesome!
Yentyl? Also great. And young Mandy Patinkin is a total peach.
The Way We Were? Forget about it, that movie is the best.

There are so many YouTubes I could insert here to illustrate how great Barbra Streisand is. But i 'm going to go with this one, because I love what she is wearing. I know you're all super busy and at work and stuff, but please watch it all the way to the but where she is on the ferry at the end.



I love you Barbra Streisand, and I always will. 

1 comment:

  1. Your mum was definitely a total fox... With a bodacious hair-do to boot.

    ReplyDelete