Monday, August 1, 2011

Les croissants


I, as much as the next person, think that conspiracy theorists are crazy. Of course I do. BUT, I can't help but think that there is a conspiracy being orchestrated by the food industry. Like, they are always trying to make us think that making stuff is hard or some sort of big deal. But making stuff isn't hard! A couple of Christmases ago I got an ice-cream maker. Shit, it is so easy to make delicious ice-cream!

And then, the other day, I made croissants! It was so goddamned easy. I can not actually confirm that my idea that croissants would be hard to make was in fact put in my brain by the food industry or myself based on the fact they are so freaking buttery and twirly and delicious. Maybe I just I assumed they would be hard and labour intensive. But however that idea got in there it was an IDIOT of an idea. AN IDIOT! Croissants are so easy and the ones I made were among the best I have eaten. For reals. And I have eaten a lot of croissants in my time.

Because I like to eat croissants I have been thinking for a long time that I would like to try to make them. Then the other day I bought Gourmet Traveller. I never buy Gourmet Traveller. But for some reason something took me over and I just bought it. (It was like the time I was pregnant but didn't even know it and I was hungry at the supermarket and couldn't leave the chocolate aisle even though I never buy chocolate for a snack. And I couldn't understand why I wanted to buy chocolate so badly. It was a true sign.) So I bought Gourmet Travellerand when I got home and started reading it I saw they had an article on croissants with a recipe. A SIGN! A few days later I was making those bad boys.


The recipe is here. But let me give you a basic run down of how to make them:



Make a dough. Let it rest in the fridge. Smash and roll some butter into a rectangle and put in the fridge. An hour later take out dough and butter. Roll out dough, put butter on top and fold dough over it. Roll out and fold into thirds. Sit for an hour. Then take out of fridge, roll and fold into thirds. Sit for an hour. Repeat 2 more times. Then after an 8-12 hour rest make croissants. Let rise then cook.


It is actually only about 20 minutes of work, and most of that is just the making of the actual croissants. If this is how easy croissants are, what else could they be keeping from us?! What other delicious food should I be making, not buying?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment