Friday, July 29, 2011

Friday Favourites - Prince


YAY! Freaky Friday! I mean Friday Favourites! Finally, Friday, you are here and we can think and talk about Prince. Mate, I am so glad you bought Prince up because I really love him so much.

There was a time in my life when I just used to hang out in my room listening to Prince for hours on end and on reflection I wonder why I don't do this more now.

God, to pick a favourite Prince song is like I imagine picking a favourite child might be. There are so many great ones. Raspberry Beret and Purple Rain are two of my favourites, both in life and in karaoke. And let me clarify that when I talk about favourite Prince songs this also means favourite all time songs.

Little Red Corvette is also another personal favourite. This is actually the song that made me really realise how awesome Prince was. I should confess that as a child in the eighties I remember that people would all talk about Prince as a musical genius and I didn't really get it. But as I matured I realised that maybe those musical commentators did know what they were talking about. Also I have to say that contrary to the essence of Friday Favourites I actually think all these songs are also best things.

Anyway, there are so many Prince songs that I love, but I think the one I have to nominate as my Friday Favourite is If I was Your Girlfriend. It has a good beat and you can dance to it. But there is more to it than just that. The song is Prince wondering what life would be like if he was the female best friend of his ex-girlfriend. What a creepy, awesome approach to a break up song! Dude is a genius! Also it is funny. "Can we just go to the movies and cry together?...Baby can I dress you, I mean help you pick out your clothes before we go out?" HAHAHA. Man, I love Prince! And I really love this song.

No comments:

Post a Comment