Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Phillings

I love Phil Collins.

When the drums come in in 'In the Air Tonight'!

'Sussudio'!

Of course I love him.

A little while ago on a Sunday night I was in the kitchen making what I think was this spinach and chickpeas dish for dinner. Except instead of spinach I used silver beet. And instead of chickpeas I used pumpkin. But really it was essentially the same dish. It ended up delicious. And one day soon I will make it with spinach and chickpeas. But (for once) I don't want to talk about food.

It was a really nice night. I had time to spend in the kitchen cooking by myself for some delicious end and listening to the radio. I was listening to This American Life. I like listening to that show, it is personal and generally well written and engaging. This episode was about breaking up.

The first story was written by a woman who had gone through a breakup and spent months listening to break up songs until she decided she should write one. She wanted to talk to Phil Collins for advice. Phil had played a role in the relationship she'd come out of. You know the story, she and her boyfriend listened to him ironically then lovingly and then when the boyfriend dumped her she quoted Phil at him. She wanted to talk to Phil and she got to. She got to talk to him. And this made me fall in love with him for so many reasons.

It made me think about how great it would be to talk to a person you have wanted to talk to, ask all the questions. Like talking to Joss Whedon about Buffy. But also it was different to that, because she was telling Phil about her break up. And I can only imagine that must have been even more intense and close to her heart than Buffy is to mine. If that is even possible.

It was awesome, but it was heartbreaking. They talked about heartbreak and song writing and Phil just sounded like this regular guy. He talked about a recent divorce, "My divorce came through on my birthday," he said, "And I didn't want it at all." When he said this it made me want to cry. It made me fall in love with Phil Collins.

I could keep talking about this, but I bet you'll get more out of listening to the episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment