Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I have a special skill

On Tuesday nights I have taken to going to the Union for trivia. The Union in Brunswick, not the Union in Offspring. I have a killer team and we have won three weeks in a row. We have only been three times, and we have won three times!
My team is called Mike Gatting due to a fortunate guess at a previous trivia evening. Our success is largely due to the incredible audio recognition skills of HuShaz. She need only hear about five seconds of a song and she can tell you what the song is called, and who the artist is. And five seconds is the most time she will need. More often than not it is two seconds. She is the human Shazam! This is very handy during the round where you have to listen to about five seconds of a song and then name the song and the artist. Basically, the game is won or lost in that round and I really hope that we never have to front up without HuShaz because I don't fancy our chances without her.
Having said that, everyone else in the team brings something special to the table, which is why we are the carryover champs. This is purely accidental. We didn't set out to compose a balanced team of movie/music/sport/science/geography experts. Its just that we were all free the night Scampy suggested we go to the pub for trivia, and we all happen to have mad skillz.

Without doubt, my special skill is facial recognition. One of the rounds involves naming a bunch of celebrities from slightly fuzzy photos printed on an A4 piece of paper. While I don't like to blow my own trumpet, I am so good at that round that I would actually kind of look like an asshole if I didn't acknowledge how awesome I am at it. Facial recognition really is my special skill.People: if I have met you once, or never met you but sat opposite you on a tram one time or seen you in one of my friends' photos, I will remember your face. It's just the way my brain works. I'm sorry, I hope that doesn't creep you out. Of course, this also works very well for recognising celebrities and therefore works very well for the celebrity facial recognition round of Tuesday night trivia. Having said that, I don't get all of them. Some of them I have no clue about. But I just get a lot more than everyone else.
Here's one I didn't get last night.

Can people tell who that is? I should point out that it was a lot fuzzier than this on the piece of paper I had. Looking at it now it seems very obvious to me who it is. But can you people tell?

No comments:

Post a Comment